A New One

Damon and I have both read Taking Charge of Your Fertility and have been charting away.

This month is a new one on me. The basic idea is that for the first half of your cycle your temperature is about a degree lower than the second half of your cycle. The temp goes up either because a) you’re pregnant or b) your body has produced the hormones that say “conception possibilities are past for this month.” That’s why just the rise in temperature doesn’t tell you if you’re pregnant or not. But if you are, your temperature just doesn’t go down again 14 days later. For many women who are charting this is the first indicator of pregnancy. Certainly my body has done as expected in terms of temperature all along.

This month… my temperature just never went up. I’m about 20 days in to a 28 day cycle and I’m still low. I have no earthly idea what that means. Other than I assume it means I’m not pregnant. But it still should have gone up. Baffling. This is our charmed third try so as soon as I get the obvious proof I’m not pregnant I’ll be giving the doctor a call and I can ask her about it. Although I gather that even many obstetricians aren’t fully up on this stuff.

Anyone here have any thoughts?

1. I have thoughts. Have more sex, just in case you’re in the zone and you don’t know it. That’s my clinical advice. Besides, there’s nothing really great on television anyway.

2. I have thoughts. Have more sex, just in case you’re in the zone and you don’t know it. That’s my clinical advice. Besides, there’s nothing really great on television anyway.

3. I have thoughts. Have more sex, just in case you’re in the zone and you don’t know it. That’s my clinical advice. Besides, there’s nothing really great on television anyway.

4. Have you taken your temp. after 3 hours of consectutive sleep each time? Also, could it be that stress or other factors have kept you from ovulating this month?

5. Have you taken your temp. after 3 hours of consectutive sleep each time? Also, could it be that stress or other factors have kept you from ovulating this month?

• Yeah, the temperature taking always happens first thing in the morning, in the general vacinity of 7:30 (there’s about an hour variance).
      Last month when I had the emergency oral surgery my cycle lenghtened to 31 days rather than its normal very dependable 28. I suppose it’s possible my system hasn’t righted itself. Although if the temperature means I haven’t ovulated yet then my cycle is going to clock in at about 40 days, which would be pretty suprisiing.

6. Have you taken your temp. after 3 hours of consectutive sleep each time? Also, could it be that stress or other factors have kept you from ovulating this month?

7. It’s good advice. We could be overthinking this.

8. Yeah, the temperature taking always happens first thing in the morning, in the general vacinity of 7:30 (there’s about an hour variance).

9. In that case, just keep having sex every other day. 🙂

10. I think that’s actually good advice. I wonder if we could pull that off consistently. Perhaps we’ll give it a whirl.