Okay, I’ve regained a little of my perspective. I saw the midwife today, and while I continue to dilate (now at a 2) there’s no reason to EXPECT to go into labor RIGHT NOW.

So I’m going to re-gain my equilibrium and try to be a little nicer to myself. I think I can be more patient if I lower my expectations of myself right now — just a notch or two. We got home about an hour ago and I had my first real stab of fear about labor. It didn’t last long, and I am sure it was driven by the fact that I ran around all afternoon and night. I got home dead tired and aching like crazy, which made me feel like I couldn’t manage to get up a flight of stairs much less deliver a baby. I’m sure I’ll get my confidence back tomorrow.

I just ate about 10 homemade chocolate chip cookies (I’m not exaggerating) so that’s a start.

Damon has gone to the gym, because he’s a crazy person. So the couch and the remote are all mine!

1. Your husband went to the gym at 11pm? Tell that man he needs to sleep in case your water breaks at 2am!

2. Your husband went to the gym at 11pm? Tell that man he needs to sleep in case your water breaks at 2am!

3. Your husband went to the gym at 11pm? Tell that man he needs to sleep in case your water breaks at 2am!

4. Your husband went to the gym at 11pm? Tell that man he needs to sleep in case your water breaks at 2am!

5. Your husband went to the gym at 11pm? Tell that man he needs to sleep in case your water breaks at 2am!

6. Your husband went to the gym at 11pm? Tell that man he needs to sleep in case your water breaks at 2am!

7. Your husband went to the gym at 11pm? Tell that man he needs to sleep in case your water breaks at 2am!

8. Girl, stop getting internals. They don’t give any prediction of labor whatsoever, and they just make you think you ought to be doing it faster or something. With my first I went in after 8 hours of 1-minute contractions 3 minutes apart and was STILL at one, but the kid was born less than two hours later. And once you’re in labor, all that dilate one centimeter per hour stuff is bullshit, given both my experiences and all my friends. You might go none for three hours and then suddenly up four.
    Of course you’re having some nerves! Who wouldn’t? You can do this, though. You’re strong and healthy, and just breathe through it and remember that each contraction gets your kidlet closer to meeting you.
    And if you want to get your labor here faster, schedule a lot. 🙂 Seriously. I knew Anya would be born the day she was because I had the day totally booked (lunch, a funeral, a meeting) and Ezra crashed my last-hurrah birthday dinner. Get out your datebook and make some plans.

9. Girl, stop getting internals. They don’t give any prediction of labor whatsoever, and they just make you think you ought to be doing it faster or something. With my first I went in after 8 hours of 1-minute contractions 3 minutes apart and was STILL at one, but the kid was born less than two hours later. And once you’re in labor, all that dilate one centimeter per hour stuff is bullshit, given both my experiences and all my friends. You might go none for three hours and then suddenly up four.

• Yes, yes, and yes! to all that lemon_says is telling you! Especially about the scheduling. The internals are fun, but treat them like a daily horoscope – for entertainment purposes only.

• Ditto this. Internals tell you nothing and only stress you out, plus add the risk of artificial rupture of membranes and infection. I’ve never known an internal exam to show me or anyone else anything useful!

10. Girl, stop getting internals. They don’t give any prediction of labor whatsoever, and they just make you think you ought to be doing it faster or something. With my first I went in after 8 hours of 1-minute contractions 3 minutes apart and was STILL at one, but the kid was born less than two hours later. And once you’re in labor, all that dilate one centimeter per hour stuff is bullshit, given both my experiences and all my friends. You might go none for three hours and then suddenly up four.

11. Girl, stop getting internals. They don’t give any prediction of labor whatsoever, and they just make you think you ought to be doing it faster or something. With my first I went in after 8 hours of 1-minute contractions 3 minutes apart and was STILL at one, but the kid was born less than two hours later. And once you’re in labor, all that dilate one centimeter per hour stuff is bullshit, given both my experiences and all my friends. You might go none for three hours and then suddenly up four.

12. Girl, stop getting internals. They don’t give any prediction of labor whatsoever, and they just make you think you ought to be doing it faster or something. With my first I went in after 8 hours of 1-minute contractions 3 minutes apart and was STILL at one, but the kid was born less than two hours later. And once you’re in labor, all that dilate one centimeter per hour stuff is bullshit, given both my experiences and all my friends. You might go none for three hours and then suddenly up four.

13. Girl, stop getting internals. They don’t give any prediction of labor whatsoever, and they just make you think you ought to be doing it faster or something. With my first I went in after 8 hours of 1-minute contractions 3 minutes apart and was STILL at one, but the kid was born less than two hours later. And once you’re in labor, all that dilate one centimeter per hour stuff is bullshit, given both my experiences and all my friends. You might go none for three hours and then suddenly up four.

14. Girl, stop getting internals. They don’t give any prediction of labor whatsoever, and they just make you think you ought to be doing it faster or something. With my first I went in after 8 hours of 1-minute contractions 3 minutes apart and was STILL at one, but the kid was born less than two hours later. And once you’re in labor, all that dilate one centimeter per hour stuff is bullshit, given both my experiences and all my friends. You might go none for three hours and then suddenly up four.

15. Yes, yes, and yes! to all that lemon_says is telling you! Especially about the scheduling. The internals are fun, but treat them like a daily horoscope – for entertainment purposes only.

16. Ditto this. Internals tell you nothing and only stress you out, plus add the risk of artificial rupture of membranes and infection. I’ve never known an internal exam to show me or anyone else anything useful!